Outside Sales Representative (California)
United Pipe & Steel is part of the Reliance Steel & Aluminum Co. Family of Companies. Our mission is to be a best-in-class distributor, delivering a competitively priced and diverse mix of high-quality pipe and tube products on our own fleet with the shortest lead times to wholesale distributors.
We are looking for an Outside Sales Representative based on the west coast to help service our customers in California.
Our team of outside salespeople supports our ongoing business with visits to customers, phone calls, and emails when not on the road. Outside sales representatives are guided by engaged sales managers who train and set up their team members for success. They are also supported by their inside sales colleagues, who speak with customers frequently, a dedicated team of sales assistants that help with order entry and other administrative functions, and a strategic sales team that helps develop new opportunities.
The ideal candidate for this position will have a proven track record in sales and customer service, with experience in wholesale distribution of products and services related to plumbing and heating, PVF, HVAC, waterworks, fire protection, pool, lumber, steel service centers, electrical, or other market segments.
- Learn and demonstrate our value proposition to customers.
- Meet quarterly and annual sales budgets.
- Serve customers in-person or remotely.
- Develop and execute sales strategies.
- Help grow new and existing business.
- Proactively manage current accounts.
- Research and understand customer needs.
- Maintain and leverage sales information within our Epicor ERP system.
- Provide actionable feedback to management.
- Seek out and report competitive market information.
- Create and adjust sales strategies.
- Participate in industry trade shows, customer events, and training days.
- Update knowledge by participating in educational opportunities, reading trade journals, maintaining personal networks, and participating in industry organizations.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
- A positive attitude.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Outside-the-box thinking to meet challenges.
- Able to build strong working relationships with people.
- The ability to learn crucial aspects of our business.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to multitask.
- Experienced with Microsoft 365, including Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Understanding of sales concepts and procedures.
- A private home office with high-speed internet.
- Vehicle transportation for serving customers in California.
Education and Experience
- Five years in a customer-facing sales role, in person and over the phone.
- Plumbing, heating, electrical, or irrigation industry experience preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Experienced with ERP and CRM applications.
- Affordable and comprehensive medical insurance.
- Vision, Dental, Short-term Disability & Life insurance included.
- 401K plan with employer-matching contributions
- Three weeks of accrued vacation and sick pay a year.
- Paid holidays.
- Paid training.
- Partial work from home.
- Employee assistance program.
Full-time / Remote / Preferably within 300 miles of Los Angeles.
Supplemental Pay Types:
- Bonus Pay
- Monday to Friday
United Pipe & Steel is an equal-opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.