Senior Accountant (Houston, Texas)
Join our Houston, TX team at United Pipe & Steel, the largest master distributor of standard pipe products in the U.S. We are seeking a Senior Accountant who is looking for growth and opportunity in a newly created position!
Under the general supervision of the Controller, the Senior Accountant is responsible for the accuracy, timeliness, and completeness of financial reporting and the application of proper accounting treatment for the supported subsidiary locations. This includes supporting the Controller with various accounting duties associated with day-to-day transactions, the month-end general ledger close, and monthly financial account analysis and review.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Prepare and post accurate journal entries, perform ad hoc analysis, and assist in the preparation of management’s financial reporting package.
- Prepare various financial analyses and transactional reviews including, but not limited to, accounts receivable analysis, inventory reserves and adjustments, quarterly vacation analysis, gross margin review, and operating expense review with the main objective of trying to identify unusual trends, variances, or unexpected balances.
- Assist with the review of cost reconciliation reports for possible inventory costing issues & aged payables.
- Utilize reports from our financial reporting software, enterprise resource planning software, and fixed asset accounting software to facilitate the analysis of financial data.
- Serve as key point of contact for supported subsidiary field personnel by assisting them with accounting questions and ensuring that transactions are properly recorded within our business application systems. This requires developing a strong knowledge of the Company’s business application systems.
- Prepare timely, complete, and accurate quarterly and annual schedules, including analysis of accounts, analysis of ratios and other key performance indicators, and explanations of significant or unusual changes or trends.
- Proactively identify, recommend, and implement improvements to departmental processes to increase efficiency and accuracy through automation, utilizing business applications.
- Assist Controller to develop, document, test, and remediate controls and process documentation in compliance with Section 404 of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002.
- Effectively manage month-end rebate calculations/accruals to ensure timely delivery and accuracy of information.
- Responsible for the successful completion of the rebate payment process.
- Timely and accurate delivery of regular and ad-hoc sales reporting, analysis and other tasks as requested.
Required & Preferred Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree required. Degree in Accounting, Finance, or a related field preferred.
- Minimum of five (5) years experience as an accounting/finance professional required.
- Technical capabilities must include proficiency with Microsoft Office products, particularly Excel, with detailed knowledge of V-lookup, pivot tables, etc.
- Experience with FAS, Hyperion, and general SQL queries a plus.
- Detail oriented and well organized
- Strong analytical, verbal, and written communication skills required.
- Able to learn quickly.
- Able to manage multiple concurrent projects effectively.
- Must be flexible and adaptable to quickly changing business priorities.
- Ability to work with a variety of people both at the corporate office and with the supported subsidiary field personnel.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
- Affordable and comprehensive medical insurance
- Vision, Dental, Short-term Disability, and Life insurance included.
- 401K plan with employer-matching contributions
- Paid vacation, sick, and holiday time
- Supplemental bonus plan
- Day shift; Flexible morning start time
- Monday – Friday
Job Type: Full-time
United Pipe & Steel, Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.